pspp-dev

Re: Correlation

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Correlation
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 09:00:14 +0900

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 12:44:06PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     > I am using version 0.4.0, whcih is what you seem to be
     > distributing with PSPPIRE.

     There is some confusion here.  The current version of PSPP is
     0.6.1.  Only PSPP versions 0.6.0 and 0.6.1 include the PSPP GUI,
     named PSPPIRE.  So, if you have a GUI, then you have PSPP 0.6.0
     or later.

Perhaps not strictly true. 0.6.0 was the first *released* version to
include PSPPIRE, but there are some 0.4.x pre-releases out in the wild
which had a version of the gui.

     > 4. In your documentation you do not really clarify whether PEARSON CORR
     > is an implemented or non-implemented procedure. It appears to be
     > non-implemented. However, it would not seem hard to do so, since you
     > already have it coded for the PAIRED TTEST procedure (although of course
     > you do not have the complete syntax for PEARSON CORR coded).

     For what it's worth, PEARSON CORR and CORRELATIONS are two names
     for the same procedure, but it is not implemented under either
     name.  Based on your logic, it sounds like we should consider
     implementing it soon.

But least there be any confusion, the parser for
{PEARSON} CORRELATIONS has existed for many years, and until very recently
this command was enabled in the stable branch, so that the command
would have been accepted.  However, as the command itself was
unimplemented it would do nothing.

As soon as Jason has finished his covariance matrix work, then
implementing this command should be quite straightforward.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3