pspp-dev

Re: cross-compiling

From: Jason Stover
Subject: Re: cross-compiling
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 10:34:06 -0400

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 12:23:16AM -0300, Michel Boaventura wrote:
> Now I see all the things that make the use of those tools, but imagine
> that i want
> to use then on my works. I will have to write al the configs from the
> "configure" script
> by my self? And allmost all of the GNU softwares became with the same
> skeleton, with
> the README, the INSTALL, the "configure", etc...

You would normally write a shorter script called configure.ac, which
is a list of macros expanded by a program called autoconf to produce
the configure script. You would also put some other macros in a file
called Makefile.am, which are expanded by a program called automake to
produce a file called Makefile.in. The configure script would then
read Makefile.in to produce the final Makefile. (I think that's right,
someone else can correct that if I'm wrong.)

> There's one IDE, or thing like that who make all of this alone?

Not that I know of.

> As far as I know, kdevelop does the job, but I really like Vim as a program
> enviroment ;)

I think most project maintainers just use autoconf, automake, and a
couple of extra helper scripts, and edit the macros with an editor
like Emacs or vi. For PSPP, Ben packaged all that stuff in Smake,
which also inserts code from gnulib.

-Jason