Re: [Protux-devel] linux audio meeting at zkm karlsruhe; a conclusion

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] linux audio meeting at zkm karlsruhe; a conclusion
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 12:16:53 +0200

Hi Reinhard,

> as I said ... I was there at two days listening to some talks and
> presentations and talking with some of the guys and so on .... maybe we can
> meet us next year and doing some presenattion or talk on next years
> meeting? Would be nice!!!!

Indeed! Would be a great thing.

> first of all some good news:
> agnula released a knoppix based audio distro including protux and of course
> all other important apps in linux world as well ;-)
> http://www.agnula.org/Members/sama/demudi_1_1_1_news
>
> and also suse released a live audio distro don't including protux :-(

That's indeed good news, no matter if protux was included or not. Protux is
still in early stages of development, so its understandable that it isn't
included always.

> but there is a noticeable thing ... the first app that is running after
> startup on both distros  is jack, which seems to become more and more
> important in audio world, or maybe it tends to be  the "main thing"?? I
> don't know, but I would suggest to give protux the ability to be a jack
> client if needed! SO, the advantage would be that users could use jamin
> __in the meantime__ to master her audio files recorded by protux, for
> example.

I've been thinking about this for the last couple of weeks. On the one hand it
would be great, on the other, you have to rely on JACK all the time. Maybe
it's an idea to support both JACK and native ALSA.

At this time I'm not so happy with JACK really. When using under kernel 2.6.x
it has a worst case performance when using not real time. So you have to use
it real time, which is of course no problem since any audio application has
to run in real time mode to gain reasonable latencies under the linux kernel.
(that means, no xruns)

If JACK is gonna be the sound server driver interface of choice and all sound
servers go using it, then I think it's early enough for the Mustux project to
have a look at it, or in the case Protux has become more mature before this
time.

I do have personal reasons to not like JACK. But thats another story ;-)

Best wishes,

Remon