Re: [Protux-devel] Re: protux on FreeBSD

From: Luciano Giordana
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] Re: protux on FreeBSD
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 18:44:41 -0200

> for this it would be good to stay as OS independant as possible in
> coding libmustux/protux.

Im sorry, I dont agree.

Protux is intended to be a GNU/Linux application, since its creation.
We will be as specific as possible, exactly to extract the maximum of
performance from the OS.

but, again, Protux is free, anybody can take this job freely
(I mean the creation of such layers, porting Protux, and so on...) but this
will be another project and not part of Protux/Mustux project.

For example, a very long time ago ( I believe in Sep. 2000), somebody wrote me
to ask me why we were not coding
protux for BeOS, since BeOs was a real multimedia OS. At that time, I wrote
many emails explaining JMB concepts,
explaining protux 0.04 internals (the current version at that time), so those
guys could start writing what
they called Betux ( A protux porting for BeOS). I dont know happened to the
project, but I gave my support as much as I could.

But that wasnt part of Protux/Mustux project, and that's why I am skeptic about
"portings".
I just want make it clear that Protux/Mustux/Mustache is a GNU/Linux
application project running over i386 i586 arch.

The only excpetion is Hurd. If Hurd becomes part of GNU system someday, surely
we will work thinking of Hurd
instead of Linux. The reason is Linux is becoming non-free day by day , and we
are free-software lovers.

RFC

Best Regards