phpgroupware-users

Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Global Categories

From: Tony Howden
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Global Categories
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 04:07:16 +0000

Hi All

Chris, thanks for the feedback, but I am still struggling with this.

The apps that can be shared are only shared for viewing another users private
app data.

The viewer cannot actually add data to the other users data in spite of the
ACL setting for 'add' because there is no method to select which datastore
the record is to be saved in, i.e. when adding a new address book record it
is automatically saved in the individual users address book even if you
wanted to save it to another address book that you have ACL rights to.

My intention is to use a central 'corporate' data store to which all users
can add the corporate data. In addition the user may be able to add data to a
personal or private data store.

Issues that I am trying to address are:

- address book for corporate data accessed for all users by default, it could
be 'owned' by the admin account which is what I tried over the weekend but
only the admin account can actually add records to that address book
- a record in the address book that is ticked as 'private' should be saved to
the personal data rather than the corporate address book
- each group to have a group ToDo list that the group members can access for
add/edit/delete
- private ToDo items are saved to the users ToDo list
- similarly for the calendar process, to have a corporate calendar that users
can enter data into as well as private calendars.

There are other things as well but they all stem from the same issue. The
apps must have a method of recognising which datastore the record is to be
added to.

Or am I missing something still ? I have read every document I can find but
cannot make sense of the way in which this is working. I am about to start
analysing the databases to try to sort out how it is constructed.

I'd really like feedback from any/all users as to how they are using the
various apps. Is anyone else trying to use this sort of central data and if
so how are you doing it?

I acknowledge that there is no point replying to a question in the list if
you dont have an answer, but at this stage I am so "in the dark" over how the
app is meant to work that any information will be appreciated. Email me
privately if you'd prefer, thanks.

cheers
Tony