Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Future ... and Poll

From: Maât
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Future ... and Poll
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 00:52:27 +0100

Caeies wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As some of you already know, I'm officially the new phpGroupWare
> maintainer from the FSF point of view.
No comment on that. For the while we have more urgent questions to deal
with... first of all : can we give a new life to this project :)

>  I want to thanks Dave / skwashd
> for all the work he has made as the FSF maintainer of this project.

agreed :)

> We have recently hardly discuss about the death of the project. It seems
> that we want to try to make it alive :).

/me votes for life rather than death :)

> Maat did a good job by reworking the svn tree, making it easier to
> understand. Thanks for that.

:)

Now a single svn checkout allows people to have a working copy ready to
test or code.

Next i'll publish a quick howto get started on phpGW with Eclipse PDT
(Eclipse IDE for PHP with many cool features that make phpGroupWare
hacking and debugging easier)

> Sigurd seems to have things to commit in his branch (btw is this on the
> =2E16 base or .18 ?). I'm waiting for this to speak about that after.

Sigurd can work in his brand new dedicated repository so that we can
cherry pick cool features and commit them into base repository :)

> I don't want to start a "blabla" thread. But I want to know what you
> think about the real added values of phpGW :
>  - do you think that the building of custom module is important ?

It's important to let this possibility imho.
Though we cannot expect people to start coding new apps on our base
before a new stable and sexy version is published.

>  - do you think that having a high level API is important ?

Yes also

>  - do you think that the intermodule communication is important ?

It's a killer feature that no other groupware offer atm

>  - do you think that the number of proposed module is important ?

no

>  - do you think that having an easy setup is important

yes * 1000

>  - do you think that having a groupware able to communicate with other
> groupware is important ?

yes this also is a killer feature that no other groupware offer atm

and that would perhaps allow to create things like groupware based
social networks without central node with the ability for people to well
control their personal datas :)

>  - do you think that having a groupware able to communicate with
> specialized devices is important ?

for me no but i know many people cannot live without that

and we have jonhang GSoC work for that now :)

>  - do you think that being able to easily brand phpgroupware is important=
>  ?

what d'you mean there ?

>  - what kind of applications are important ? why ?

Depends on the user need ... i proposed long ago to make several flavors
of phpGroupWare with various sets of applications optimised for specific
purposes.

-- personal communicationware : webmail + calendar + notes
-- project management groupware (tasks + tts + ged)
-- facilities management ( property + ....)

i think we can find others classical  usage patterns

that would make us the first flavored GroupWare

>  - other things that I forgot ?
>
> Please, keep in mind that we have the following things already well
> running :
>  -> google apps (shared calendar, shared documents, mail, ...) and their
> concurrent.
>  -> API : Zend Framework, symfony, cakePHP, ...
>  -> other groupwares in java / php / python / whatever ...
>
> So, in short : where can we add value to our project, what are our
> strengths for YOU developers ? (users are welcome to give their feedback
> too :).
>
> Beeing free software is important for all of US (at least I hope !). But
> we need to go ahead, rebuilding a strong community of contributing
> developer and not only users.

i'm using phpGroupWare as a basis for ged but the need is raising for a
really good task/project manager with module linking with email for
notifications and ged for documents related to the tasks

perhaps a link with calendar for gant displaying would be great too
(later because Gantt displaying is really a difficult thing to do with a
web app)

i think we can at least make phpGroupWare a leading project-management
dedicated groupware... wich would allow us to attract small companies as
"customers"