[Phpgroupware-developers] Releases and code quality

From: Christian Boettger - Mailings
Subject: [Phpgroupware-developers] Releases and code quality
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:57:59 +0100

Hi all,

since a few days I'm the new release coordinator for phpGW (see
phpgroupware.org). I'm supposed to look after quality issues as well.

So here some news from "the ranting coordinator" ...

On the last coordination team meeting we agreed on a rough release plan for
.16. Well, just the beginning of it really. I consider it being worthwhile
to know about it for all developers, so here it it:

General code freeze (not only feature freeze) apart for very important
bugfixes
Test of the zend patch (see Savannah, Kai H aka Powerstat submitted them)

Bugfix schedule for the upcoming 0.9.16.001 release:
        - index list to be posted on phpgroupware.org and annonced on the
mailing list
        - fudforum bugfix so that it doesn't break the admin module any more
(no general re-work, which will be necessary for HEAD)
        - zend patch: test and apply

I'll start working on these two things, now that CeBIT is over:
- creating a test schedule for the 0.9.16.001 release
- "guidelines" for proper testing

- after 0.9.16.001: addressbook bugfixes and and performance improvements

And after that we'll see... stay tuned.

As a "quality manager", I strongly urge all developers to
a) test their code thouroughly before committing
b) really try to get a second developer to review the code before submitting
c) have a look at the diffs flying along on the cvs diff list (as sonn as
it's up and running again) and do a quick code review on the code others
submitted
d) leave your name or nick in the cvs commit comment and a useful
expolanation what's it all about

Mind you that even fixing a small typo in the code might break other things.
Perhaps someone has created a workaround for the bug you fixed which causes
havoc after the bug has gone... so testing is really important.

Once we have a "standard" test procedure to be applied before any release,
it would be a Good Thing (TM) to have some users (not developers) doing
those tests. Any volunteers are welcome of course.

Regards

Christian aka bofh42

--
*****    Open Source und Linux im professionellen Einsatz    *****
**  komplexe Mailserver, Groupware, Office: sprechen Sie uns an **