Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] CVS branches tags policy ... risks for end

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] CVS branches tags policy ... risks for end users applying patches with cvs update ?
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:32:47 +0000

I don't know the policy for the release tag, I think it's only purpose if to
provide a "point in time" checkout for the files in the tarball.  Nothing ever
get commited back to this.

All development, including interim security patches, are done on the branch.
Everything in the tarball has the branch tag and nothing has the release tag
since it's taged afterwards.

HEAD is anyones game, it's not for production use and is often broken except
for when we're really close to make a RC and giving the code a new branch tag.

On a stock tarball, it's always perfectly safe to run a cvs update -dPC on it.