Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Synchronization support for phpGW - Draft

From: Markus Kaemmerer
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Synchronization support for phpGW - Draft
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:07:50 +0100

Evan Sebire <address@hidden> wrote:,

>Are you trying to do this all in php? (I think the answer is no),

your anser is correct ;-).

>I've been
>working on getting syncml to work (in php) but the client I'm testing with is
>using wbxml which is a little bit tricker and until now have not been able to
>find any working php code, so I'm relying on libxml  to change wbxml to xml
>and then process the sync.  Not really suitable for a easy to install
>phpgroupware!

We saw the same problem in an earlyer state of our concept
development. PHP is not really situated for real time server software
like a SyncML server. This may be working with plan HTML, but starting
with WBX or even OBEX or something like this PHP will loose. So we had
to find another solution.

>My client is a sony Ericsson T610 and is suppose to use syncml 1.0 but the
>credentials are in the syncbody, which is not any standard.

As far as I know, this was not clearly stated in SyncML 1.0.

>Anyway the point  I'm trying to make is that if you want to integrate syncml
>into phpgroupware
>you should stick to version 1.1, this will probably break a lot of device
>compatability but in a year or two these devices will probably be not on the
>market, hopefully!

This seems to be a common problem with older SyncML implementations,
either in the end user device or the server software. To avoid hassle
with this compatibilty work, we decided to not write our own SyncML
server. This would be much work that has been done by others already.
To test the server aginst all common end user devices would overcome
our ressources by a far extend. So we decided to use Sync4j as
middleware (layer 4 and maybe 5, depending on the device). Sync4j is a
very good engineered SyncML implementation written in Java using the
JBoss application server. It is already stated SyncML compatible at
one SyncML Fest some time ago. The disadvantage is, that the server
administrator has to set up a JBoss server in addition to the phpGW
environment.

>As for palm I have no idea.

We have one :-), see our concept and my new mail in this list.

Markus