Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] RFC: Addressmaster

From: Brian Johnson
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] RFC: Addressmaster
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 03:07:50 +0000

Dave Hall (address@hidden) wrote:

>Brian Johnson <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Dave Hall (address@hidden) wrote:

>> >No you can have multiple groups with access to change the info.  That
>> >way IT can change the IT related info, HR can change the HR info.
>> It is
>> >a case of business rules.

>> >For larger organisations this is not a useful solution.  Imagine
>> trying>to track changes for say 500 people, becomes impossible.
>> >

>> I think you are agreeing with me .. it is easiest if they change
>> their own info
>>

>No I am disagreeing with you.  I am saying control of the information
>needs to be centralised and controlled.  Having every user be able to
>edit it is asking for trouble.  Also adding tests everywhere would
>create a performance hit.
>
><snip />
>
>Cheers
>
>Dave

Umm, I don't think that having every one of MY users editing THEIR OWN contact
info
is asking for trouble.  I trust them with much more valuable information every
day.
 Also, having them personally responsible for their own data lets peer pressure
coerce them into keeping their data current so that I do not have to chase them
edit it (although as a phpgw system admin I could edit it myself anyway)

As for performance, my suggested solution would not do anything that the
current acl
doesn't already do with the exception of a hook call that would only run when
someone was trying to delete a contact.  Having a "are you sure" screen is more
of a
delay than checking the hook.

IMO it would actually be less of a peformance hit than adding additional groups
and
user permissions that would have to be processed through by EVERY call to the
acl
(ie every screen of every app that checks the acl including those not related
to the
contacts system)