Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] RFC: Addressmaster

From: Alex Borges
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] RFC: Addressmaster
Date: 29 Oct 2003 20:35:40 -0600

Kay to finish this.... i dont dislike the proposed feature but i also
dont prioritize it for this RC.

If its so simple, mantaining an external patch to it wont be much of a
hassle and we can later see if we can include it in a further release of
the same branch. I know youll jump at me for saying that, but its not
brein surgery.

What is brain surgery is the addressmaster setup and its much more
complex. To put it bluntly, as its the priority for us (and so far as i
know, for most here), we will make that work first and see to the
support of this other feature later, in the best way we can as a
community.

But we cannot even touch addressmaster code since ceb is fixin it right
now and rc needs to be out ASAP.

So having that part working from ceb, we should release as it is
planned, without this requested feature, and after that see how
hard/easy it is to work with it.

I know it seams easy, but its not. The code compromised goes as far as
the upgrade, upgrade from ldap, upgrade from 14, setup_demo accounts,
admin bo/so/ui and even the contacts_sql backend classes and the
accounts_sql and accounts_ldap files.

Anyhow. I think it can be made available as a manual procedure/hack
even  before the final release. It should be a query and a patch away
once the addressmaster code has been stabilized. Which is actually the
point here. I vote no changes until that stabilizes, it will make me run
like a naked chikun if this branch breaks again.

Alex Borges
Lex