RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] patch for sql in class.hooks.inc.ph p

From: Kai Hofmann
Subject: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] patch for sql in class.hooks.inc.ph p
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 08:33:25 +0200

Hi Alex,

> Kai... Ill be sending your way a test suite so we can shoot a postgres
> versus sapdb performance test...

the idea behind this is nice, but will not work ....
Thats because for real performance tests (we do them on a professional base
sometimes) you need to have the same environment (hardware and software).

And my SAP DB runs in a Virtual Maschine (vmware esx server)
with MySQL, Postgre, Oracle, LDAP.
Which is really not a suitable environment for performance testing ...
Its more a database development server ;-)

> Anyone up for mysql comparission too?

will not work, because of different environment -
another process running on the machine will destroy
you statistics ....

> This is the idea, lets publish some tests saying which
> database is more
> appropiate with which load. For example, i can prove that mysql is
> efficient for 100 users and bellow, but pgsql is better over that (how
> soon does it show, depends on the number of concurrent users above the
> 100).

Next mistake here ;-) configs have to be defined - MySQL will perform
very differently when using InnoDB vs. the old (faster) MySQL 3.x system
which has no transactions ....

Greetings

   Kai