Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] CK-Ledger

From: C K Wu
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] CK-Ledger
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 12:09:08 +0800

Hi, Bob,

Thank you for considering CK-Ledger for your internal use and as a possible sale offering
to your clients.

Bob Crandell ??:

Hi,

I'm trying to move my company's accounting from Quickbooks to either SLQ-Ledger
or
CK-Ledger.  I showed both to my secretaries.  They chose SQL-Ledger.  Now they
are
grumbling whcih means we're still stuck with Quickbooks.  So I showed them
CK-Ledger
again.  They like it better.  Maybe there's hope?

I hope your still here, CK.

Questions:

If I presented some specific requests geared toward improving inventory
handling,
would you be willing to do that?  Or anybody for that matter?

Your request will be actioned along with other requestors'. All usual considerations apply here. Such considerations include ease of implementation, value of features proposed, existing
development schedule, etc, etc, etc ...

One of the services I would like to provide is to handle the accounting needs of
some of the smaller companies around here that are great technicians but are
still
poor because they don't enter their time.  Will this handle more than one
company?
Yes. it would. To allow better data demarcation, you could utilize phpgw's virtual domain feature. To allow centralised backup, you could use CK-Ledger's own attribute accounting feature. A more detail explanation is available from (ledger admin -> multiple ledger) .

At the risk of antagonising you and other list members, I like to highlight the following points,

a) As a standard rider, CK-Ledger is still in beta, so bugs are inevitable. This fact should
be highlighted to your (potential) customers.

b) CK-Ledger is designed for use by SMEs. Advanced features are, by definition, missing
or to be developed in the very, very distant future.

c) You may like to review address@hidden's archive. There are a few instances, at which, I, effectively, asked the feature requestor to choose some
other software instead.

d) If you are selling CK-Ledger installation and/or support service to your client, you should be independently knowledgeable about CK-Ledger and its various idiosyncrosies and shortcomings. The public mailing list and CK-Ledger's existing user base should not be used as your consultant if you are selling CK-Ledger consultancy services to your clients.

I hope I haven't offend you too much :-) . But these are things that I think you should be
aware of before proceeding further.

Cheers,
CK

I suppose I need to sign up for yet another mailing list.

Thanks

--
Bob Crandell
Assured Computing