Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] LDAP concept

From: Alex Borges
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] LDAP concept
Date: 31 Jul 2003 13:16:35 -0500

Ive read it and liked it. Very good stuff, thank you.

I pretty much agree with the whole  mapping but would like to get more
feedback from ldap-centric systems administrators. Just so we dont mess
up (you also mentioned this, we agree).

The new db schema is much larger and its goal is to be a good central
pivot upon which more complex applications can be built. It takes us out
of limitations about ppl belonging to multiple orgs, viceversa, maybe
even multiple resources belonging to multiple orgs and inheriting some
of the orgs attributes (building A belongs to org 1 which has address
X).

So its all good and powerfull. The problem is implementing the same
thing, with the same interface to the contacts frontend programmers
efficiently, regardless if the contact's data is in ldap. Thats the
problem. And everyone knows that its not doable in a flexible enough way
(the only posibility is to force the ldap structure to be in a
particular way, which defeats the posibility of just plugging phpgw to
an existing ldap design). So noone i shooting for that right now,
everyone wants read only to the ldap and I think thats a good common
ground.

The only real problem we (who are implementing the new contacts backend)
have not solved   is the account/contacts link where accounts are in
ldap. Of course, we are leaving that last because we have no use for it
so far (the beauty of PAM), but some of you have commented that the link
to accounts could be either an LDAP DN or a contact id directly to the
accounts db. Hell, the accounts api can be used for it as well, so all
problems are defeated. I just want to say we have not gone that far and
that any ideas are greatly appreciated.