[Phpgroupware-developers] LDAP concept

From: Philipp Kamps
Subject: [Phpgroupware-developers] LDAP concept
Date: 21 Jul 2003 14:24:50 +0200

Hi everybody,

I published an early draft of the LDAP concept I wrote.
It just gives some ideas how the phpGroupware could
improve the use of LDAP.

It is written for people who already have some experience
with LDAP. The LDAP stuff sometimes is not so easy and
my not very strong English doesn't make it better ;-).

Here is the link:
http://www.probusiness.de/projekte/phpgroupware/pdf/LDAPconcept.pdf

I'm very thankful for any discussion, corrections or feedback to this
text.

Just a comment what Dave Hall wrote:
"Our plan is to make LDAP available as a read only snap shot of the SQL
contacts repository.  The LDAP contacts will be updated on
each change."
Using LDAP as a read only snap shot is really the best solution in my
opinion. Actual, existing relations (like the relation of
categories) between an entry in LDAP and table rows in the database
extremely slows things down. In the snap shot variant you only need a
1:1 relation between address rows in the database and the LDAP entries.

The concept I wrote doesn't go so far. It shows minor improvements
which could be realized without changing the existing structure to
much. But when implementing the proposed changes for accounts and
addresses (proposed in the mailing list) this should be discussed in
detail.

Regards, fips