[Phpgroupware-developers] SyncML Server

From: Guillaume Courtois
Subject: [Phpgroupware-developers] SyncML Server
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 11:12:23 +0000

Hi all,

I'm actually working on syncml protocol to try to make it work as a client (on
a PC) and as a server (in phpGW code).

I must say it's a lot of work, so I don't know how much time this will take me,
and if I will be able to go to the end of the road. But well, let's try :-)

I have a perl client able to connect to a syncml server and retrieve data (not
very clean, not finished, but the idea is there). So I would like to begin
working on the server part.

The idea is to have the slow sync part working as a first step. That means, the
client sends all the data, the server compares with what it has, saves the
diffs locally and sends all the new data to the client. That means lots of data
sent even for one field changed, but that would be a huge step !

The next part would be to do two-way sync (only the modifications are sent).
But that will require modifications to the records in the phpGW database. The
syncml server needs to know when each record was last modified (date and time),
to know if it has to send it to the client. So, if all the developpers of the
apps containing data to be synchronized could add a last_mod field to these
tables :

phpgw_addressbook
phpgw_cal

and eventually (but that's less important) :

phpgw_categories
phpgw_notes
phpgw_todo

Well, that's not urgent, but I think it's better to tell it now, so that if one
developer makes changes to the structure of one of these tables, I hope he will
think about my little request :-)

Thanks for your attention !

Bye.