pdf-devel

RE: [pdf-devel] 3D in pdf - any plans?

From: Leonard Rosenthol
Subject: RE: [pdf-devel] 3D in pdf - any plans?
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 05:27:37 -0800

Is that comment below concerning patents & GPL really true?

I certainly understand issues around existing FOSS SOURCE code and the
GPL, but I've never heard ANYONE ever say that a GPL-licensed product
can't implement something that is patented.  Certainly, one would want
to ensure that the licensing for said patent is granted (free, RAND,
etc.) - but just having a patent doesn't violate the GPL, does it?!?!

I am concerned about the truth/validity of this statement, because Adobe
holds standing patents on many parts of PDF that are "core" to the
technology (both in the file format and in the rendering model) that it
licenses royalty-free for the purposes of supporting PDF (See
<http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/support/topic_legal_notices.
html>) and I would hate to see this project's progress hindered.

Looking forward to clarification.  Thanks in advance!

Leonard