pdf-devel

[pdf-devel] About the GNU PDF license

From: Enrique Matías Sánchez (Quique)
Subject: [pdf-devel] About the GNU PDF license
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 10:34:08 +0200

Hello,
I just found out about this project.

I know there are good reasons to use the GNU GPL instead of the LGPL
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html). However, I wonder
whether a pure GPLv3 approach is the best choice.

I explain myself:
 * there are some important libraries out there that currently are
GPLv2 only (for instance, Trolltech's Qt)
 * GPLv3 is not compatible with GPLv2 by itself.
That means that Qt and KDE based applications will be deprived of the
the opportunity to use the GNU PDF libraries, as it is not possible to
satisfy both licenses at once. Thus, such applications would have to
use the LGPLed PoDoFo (http://podofo.sourceforge.net) instead.

I would therefore suggest that, as a matter of strategy, you add a
special exception giving permission to link GNU PDF with GPLv2
programs. If you agree with this idea, the FSF folks would surely help
you to properly phrase it. If my reasoning is wrong, please let me
know.

Best regards,
 Quique

--
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.