Re: User opinion needed: What shell should GNU Parallel use?

From: Thompson, Matt (GSFC-610.1)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS INC]
Subject: Re: User opinion needed: What shell should GNU Parallel use?
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 10:51:23 -0400

On 05/23/2014 08:43 AM, Ole Tange wrote:
One idea is to let it depend on which shell it is currently running
under: If the script starts with #!/bin/bash or #!/bin/tcsh then use
that shell. It will also make sense if, say, your login shell is tcsh,
but the first thing you do is to start Bash. I am not really sure how
to detect that, but it can probably be done.]

I will say that I presumed that this was the behavior (rightly or wrongly). That is, I'm writing a bash script so everything inside is "bash" for lack of a better word. Make sense now that I know a bit more of what parallel actually does.

But, as you say, it is a bit odd to figure out what the script might purport to be inside the script. The loader uses magic to interpret shebangs, right? Man, there could be some fancy, subtle security issues with some possibilities here...

Matt

--
Matt Thompson          SSAI, Sr Software Test Engr
NASA GSFC, Global Modeling and Assimilation Office