Re: zsh problem: exporting a function within a bash script for parallel

From: John
Subject: Re: zsh problem: exporting a function within a bash script for parallel to use
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 11:53:11 -0800 (PST)

> This program works for me both with login shell bash and login shell

> zsh. So it is something in your local setup.
>
> Add a new user and see if you can reproduce the error on a newly created user.

This is a good idea.  I can confirm that the behavior is reproduced on a new
user after I change shells to zsh, logout, and log back in..  the solution is
simple enough: just append `SHELL=/bin/bash` to the line calling parallel:

#!/bin/bash
word="$1"
export word

work() {
  tar zcf $word.tar.gz $word
}

export -f work
echo $word | SHELL=/bin/bash parallel work