paragui-users

Re: [paragui-users] playing with design again (opengl)

From: Dinand Vanvelzen
Subject: Re: [paragui-users] playing with design again (opengl)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 16:20:29 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Teunis Peters" <address@hidden>
To: "ParaGUI users list" <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2003 3:22 AM

> Well, I'm back to playing with code again, now that I've moved enough to
> actually work...

good to hear ,.. yay :)

> opengl requires ALL rendering from a single thread in linux/X.  I actually
> haven't checked this with the nVidia drivers but it's true for
> mesa/X/Matrox and mesa/X.  (I now HAVE an nVidia Geforce4 so I can now :)
>
> btw... dblbuffer: 45fps normal, ~500fps in opengl.  that good? :)
> although there's still font and chromakey problems...

sounds good :)

> Anyways, to make a jumbled description straight, I'm thinking of doing a
> single-threaded renderer seperate from the running process.  This won't
> work with single-threaded systems and will require a little extra setup on
> some platforms (directX I suspect), but should solve things.  Rendering
> will only be allowable from a particular function in an object after this
> point...

I think most SDL peeps will have the rendering in the same thread as
anything else, thus the main program thread. so this should not be a
problem. Altough multiple thread will exist in my program and most other
people i suspect that have networking support and they may alter data but
won't call OpenGL directly.

when you say : "seperate from the running process" you mean a program with
the 'big game loop' and a seperate render thread by default ?..  i messed
with that and it is VERRY tricky not to have starvation problems, not to
mention the additional overhead on a single CPU machine.
I think rendering should always be done in the main application thread.

> note that rendered images (for example drawable subcontexts) support
> multithreading happily.   Just rendering the MAIN screen will be from a
> single thread.
>
> Comments?  Thoughts?  Suggestions?  As I'm still not 100% what direction
> to approach from I thought I'd toss my nonsensical thoughts out and see if
> anyone could figure them out :)

Would it be possible to make a weblink or something to the CVS version ?
CVS is giving me a headace under WinXP behind the firewalls.
it doesnt even have to be the lastest CVS version just once a month a new
version would be fine.

> G'day, eh? :)
> - Teunis
>
> PS: hope this'll be a happy year for everyone!

Same to you Teunis.

GreeTz
DV a.k.a -==[EXC]RavenMaster==-   ( don't laugh :)