paragui-users

[paragui-users] playing with design again (opengl)

From: Teunis Peters
Subject: [paragui-users] playing with design again (opengl)
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 18:22:28 -0800 (PST)

Well, I'm back to playing with code again, now that I've moved enough to
actually work...

opengl requires ALL rendering from a single thread in linux/X.  I actually
haven't checked this with the nVidia drivers but it's true for
mesa/X/Matrox and mesa/X.  (I now HAVE an nVidia Geforce4 so I can now :)

btw... dblbuffer: 45fps normal, ~500fps in opengl.  that good? :)
although there's still font and chromakey problems...

Anyways, to make a jumbled description straight, I'm thinking of doing a
single-threaded renderer seperate from the running process.  This won't
work with single-threaded systems and will require a little extra setup on
some platforms (directX I suspect), but should solve things.  Rendering
will only be allowable from a particular function in an object after this
point...

note that rendered images (for example drawable subcontexts) support
multithreading happily.   Just rendering the MAIN screen will be from a
single thread.

Comments?  Thoughts?  Suggestions?  As I'm still not 100% what direction
to approach from I thought I'd toss my nonsensical thoughts out and see if
anyone could figure them out :)

G'day, eh? :)
        - Teunis

PS: hope this'll be a happy year for everyone!