paperclips-discuss

[Paperclips-discuss] Log Formats

From: ralhan
Subject: [Paperclips-discuss] Log Formats
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 00:22:48 +0530

hi,

All these suggestions are based/influenced by apache LogFormat and CustomLog
directive

Normally logs should be in two categories
1.ErrorLog
All Error Messages to a file.
2.TransferLog
All Requests to a transfer file.

Common  Format of log in apache is

"%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-agent}i\""

All info which can we get in LogFormat is are these below.

<Thought>I copied them from apache site.I hope they allow this</thought>

The characteristics of the request itself are logged by placing "%"
directives in the format string, which are replaced in the log file by the
values as follows:

%...a:          Remote IP-address
%...A:          Local IP-address
%...B:          Bytes sent, excluding HTTP headers.
%...b:          Bytes sent, excluding HTTP headers. In CLF format
                i.e. a '-' rather than a 0 when no bytes are sent.
%...c:          Connection status when response is completed.
                'X' = connection aborted before the response completed.
                '+' = connection may be kept alive after the response is
sent.
                '-' = connection will be closed after the response is sent.
%...{Foobar}C:  The contents of cookie "Foobar" in the request sent to the
                server.
%...D:          The time taken to serve the request, in microseconds.
%...{FOOBAR}e:  The contents of the environment variable FOOBAR
%...f:          Filename
%...h:          Remote host
%...H           The request protocol
%...{Foobar}i:  The contents of Foobar: header line(s) in the request
                sent to the server.
%...l:          Remote logname (from identd, if supplied)
%...m           The request method
%...{Foobar}n:  The contents of note "Foobar" from another module.
%...{Foobar}o:  The contents of Foobar: header line(s) in the reply.
%...p:          The canonical Port of the server serving the request
%...P:          The process ID of the child that serviced the request.
%...q           The query string (prepended with a ? if a query string exists,
                otherwise an empty string)
%...r:          First line of request
%...s:          Status.  For requests that got internally redirected, this
is
                the status of the *original* request --- %...>s for the
last.
%...t:          Time, in common log format time format (standard english
format)
%...{format}t:  The time, in the form given by format, which should
                be in strftime(3) format. (potentially localized)
%...T:          The time taken to serve the request, in seconds.
%...u:          Remote user (from auth; may be bogus if return status (%s)
is 401)
%...U:          The URL path requested.
%...v:          The canonical ServerName of the server serving the request.
%...V:          The server name according to the UseCanonicalName setting.

So what my feeling is that Log Format for starters can be kept in
initialization file.
if given we can arrange log according to that otherwise we use default one.

i am clear in what i am trying to say.

regards
ralhan

LIFE IS NOT FAIR and WINNING IS MY BIRTH RIGHT.