pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan logging

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan logging
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 19:25:48 +0000 (UTC)

Dave posted on Wed, 20 Jan 2016 11:33:41 +0000 as excerpted:

> Is there any way to tell or see "live" which server Pan is pulling from?
>
> I have a "free" ISP news server and a pay server from which I buy blocks
> of data as backup/fills and it might be nice to see how much is coming
> from the pay server.

Do you have your fill server set as "fallback" in the servers
configuration?  (If you have more than two servers, you can actually set
more than the primary/fallback by editing servers.xml directly, and pan
will behave accordingly, but the simplified GUI just has the two
levels.)  That's the main thing.

With servers at the same level, servers that have significantly less
messages will naturally tend to move ahead faster as they'll skip
messages they don't have, which will mean that you just normally get the
messages from them that they have available, because their fetch process
will get to them first, while the fill server is stuck back a ways
because it has more messages to pull.

But server rank makes that explicit, and won't pull from a fallback
server until all primary servers are checked for the message.  So the
first thing to do if you want to be sure to get all you can from your
primary server and save the bandwidth on the fallback, is set them as
such in the server configuration.

Beyond that, it has been awhile since I did binaries on multi-server (or
for that matter, at all, tho I do have a 1000 GB block account that I use
occasionally), but from looking just now on the single-server text I'm
doing, the log doesn't contain server information, only actions.

But the bandwidth indicator to the left in the status bar, should show
per-server activity if you hover over it.  Beyond that, I seem to
remember a couple other ways it was tracked, but I've not done multi-
server or binaries in long enough I don't remember the details, and what
I do remember, I can't be sure whether it's current pan, or the old C-
based pan from about a decade ago, that worked quite differently in terms
of multi-server.

Hopefully someone who does multi-server and/or binaries a bit more
regularly will followup with more detail.