pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan logging

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan logging
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 08:32:40 +0000 (UTC)

Dave posted on Wed, 20 Jan 2016 23:44:57 +0000 as excerpted:

> Yup, ISP server set as primary, pay server set as fallback.  The ISP
> server used to be excellent (for up to about 10-14 days worth of
> retention anyway),
> but was missing one or two groups I use.  Recently they dropped some
> high traffic groups and rumour is that they may be dropping usenet
> completely so sadly this might not be a problem anyway in a few months.

It's pressure from the RIAA and friends.

The one thing that has been both news' savior and its curse over the
years is that it isn't as easy or as popular as some other binary sharing
techniques, primarily P2P like napster and now bittorrent, which has
survived only as it has decentralized.  That has been to news' benefit as
due to the obscurity it hasn't had the attention from the censors that
more popular formats have had, which has made it a rather obscure
treasure trove of goodies, but that has in turn had a couple of effects
of its own, one of which was that eventually a few too many people
started noticing this treasure trove, so the censorship crowd began to
put more pressure on it, the other one being that because so few folks
/did/ use it, and because it /was/ a cost center, it was an easy thing
for the ISPs to drop, particularly when the censors applied pressure.

For about a decade and a half the forces kind of balanced out, nntp,
being more difficult and geeky, stayed somewhat obscure, but then got
more people interested, which got the censorship crowd riled up, which
made it more obscure again as the popular ISPs dropped binaries and often
times new entirely, but then it got more obscure again so the pressure
lessened, until the next round.

But then the censorship forces played the kiddy-porn card, and while some
ISPs only blacklisted particular groups and kept  binaries or at least
text for awhile, many ISPs at that point decided it simply wasn't worth
the trouble, and dropped it entirely.

Which did again lessen the censorship side pressure some for awhile, but
not for long, as now they could point to the competitive angle as well,
the cost of the service vs. the very few users, using news' obscurity
against itself, as well as the fact that the competitors didn't have that
cost center to deal with any more.

And that about did in news at the ISP level.  A few geeky ISPs do keep
text-only groups, but while at one point enough users used it that it was
almost like email and web pages, as service that the ISP pretty much had
to provide, the kiddy-porn card pretty much broke that entirely and it's
no longer an expectation, tho the geeky ISPs can still get a few extra
geek points by carrying text groups, but so few ISPs carry binaries any
more that news is more obscure than ever, and the remaining ISPs carrying
binaries are REALLY feeling the pressure now, both for the extra cost
center (including legal!) they can now easily jettison that their
competitor ISPs don't have, and even more censorship pressure because it
can be focused on ever fewer ISPs, to get them to drop it as well.

But on the other side of the coin, unless you're doing multiple full TV
series or the like, block accounts aren't nearly as expensive as people
might think (astraweb, $50, 1000 gig), last quite some time, and really,
paid providers *ARE* much more reliable, because it's their core business
and if they aren't reliable, they quit getting paid.  Unlike ISPs where
it always was an extra service they provided on top of the primary one,
the connection, and as an extra service, particularly one used by only a
small minority of subscribers, they really had no reason to care
particularly much about retention and reliability, as particularly after
other ISPs started dropping it, very few subscribers would drop the
service no matter how bad news got, until at some point they could simply
drop it entirely, which most eventually did.

And if you really are doing multiple full TV series and the block
accounts get used up too fast, then the monthly accounts really aren't
that expensive, if you look around anyway.  Yes, they're monthly, but if
you're using that much bandwidth, $10-20/month isn't /that/ bad,
particularly when it's for effectively unlimited downloading.

And the thing is, if you /are/ that active on binaries that a monthly
account is cheaper than a block account, then in general, you /really/
should care about reliability, and the difference that few dollars a
month makes to reliability really /is/ astonishing, and arguably well
worth it.

Plus, most ISPs put your plain-text IP in the nntp-posting-host header,
which can attract unwanted attention and attacks, because it's simply not
worth the trouble to encrypt it.  (Tho some outsource to a paid provider
and don't, but then it's even more of a direct cost sink to the ISP, one
that they can see hitting their bottom line directly, and in my
experience, once it's outsourced, it's only a matter of time until it's
shut down entirely.)  But paid providers almost always use an encrypted
form that they can track if you're reported for abuse, but that others
can't simply read themselves, as they can with the plain-text form the
ISPs generally use.

As for posting stuff that may draw unwanted attention... if you try that
on your ISP, it's your entire internet connection at risk.  If you try it
on a paid news provider, it's only that one news account (until it's bad
enough to call in law enforcement, with warrants, etc, so don't get that
bad).

But the thing to do then is to get a cheap/small block account, and use
it only for posting.  Nearly all paid providers don't charge for uploads
because being a provider hosting popular uploaders attracts paying
downloaders that more than make up for it, and besides, they'd otherwise
simply be downloading it from one of their peers after you posted it
elsewhere, and ultimately that ends up costing them money too, because
peering relationships that aren't roughly equal generally end up with the
one doing more downloading than uploading paying the other one to keep
the peering going.  So get a cheap/small block account for uploading, and
don't use it for downloading, and if/when it gets taken out by censorship
complaints, get another.

Meanwhile, while there's dedicated uploading software, if you do use pan
for uploading to a different account, it's possible to run multiple pan
instances, by pointing pan at a non-default home folder by setting and
exporting the PAN_HOME variable before you start that pan instance.
Here, I use that to keep separate text, binary, and test instances, tho
text is the only one I use anything like regularly.  But you could use
the multi-instance idea to run a separate posting instance, too, thus
allowing you to use it for posting without having to manually set your
posting server to 0 connections to avoid it downloading too, thereby
using up your posting account block.  Tho really, if you're posting
seriously enough to want a separate posting account, you probably do want
to use separate, dedicated posting software, as well.  Among other
things, dedicated posting software without the ability to download, setup
with an entirely different posting account that isn't even in your
downloading software, makes it pretty hard to get the two mixed up!