pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Problem with pan --no-gui headers:

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Problem with pan --no-gui headers:
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 23:45:41 +0000 (UTC)

Chris Gentle posted on Tue, 05 Aug 2014 12:20:16 -0500 as excerpted:

> Sorry, stupid Gmail.
>
> To repeat my original message in plain text:

FWIW, still HTML after the plain text. =:^(

> I have a script that runs during the night to grab the latest headers
> from several groups.  The script does this:
>
> pan --no-gui headers:group1,group2,etc
>
> My script no longer seems to work.  When I run this, pan just
> immediately exits with no errors and an exit status of 0.  I'm running
> pan 0.140 built from source under Mint 17.  Can anyone else verify
> whether this still works?

I don't know of anyone regularly running --no-gui aka non-gui mode on git-
pan, so it's possible breakage there wouldn't be detected right away.

AFAIK 0.140 hasn't actually been released yet, so that's effectively a
git snapshot version.  It should list the git commit ID in about, and
also in anything posted with pan (see my headers, for example).  What
commit ID are you on?

And what did you upgrade from, where it worked?  Ideally you could run a
git bisect and find the commit that disabled that feature for you, but
obviously that's going to be easier if you're already building directly
from git.

Meanwhile, I did a bit of quick testing here, but it was inconclusive as
I had obviously already fetched headers when I read your message (using
pan) on this list.  I /thought/ I saw --no-gui fetch headers for one list/
group (via gmane), but just one, and I couldn't get it to fetch anything
else for other lists, either because nothing else was there to fetch yet
or because it was broken, I'm not sure.  But then fetching from the GUI
brought in a couple messages I had just posted, which might indicate that
the non-gui fetch was broken, except that since I had just posted them,
it's possible they actually arrived in the seconds between trying the non-
gui fetch and the GUI fetch.

So I'll have to try it again later, after having pan not running for a
few hours to accumulate more posts, perhaps including this one.  Then if
I can remember to try the --no-gui thing before I start pan up again...