pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan/0.139 - threading issue

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan/0.139 - threading issue
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 16:29:27 +0000 (UTC)

Dave posted on Sat, 24 Aug 2013 11:28:15 +0100 as excerpted:

>       net> <address@hidden>

[snipped more headers]

As you can see here, your kmail was broken in the same way at this point.

I spent quite some time reading what appears to be the current
Internet Message Format RFC (5322):

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322

... and concluded that FWS (folding white-space) would be (SHOULD level)
between the individual message-ids, so between > < elements.  *HOWEVER*,
at the MUST level, it's ALLOWED between the <> delimiters as well,
AS LONG AS it appears either immediately inside the <> delimiters or
on either side of the @.

But a fold is *NOT* allowed within a dot-atom, that is, on either side
of a dot or between letters/digits, which is exactly where it's appearing
here, since the fold is between dgmm. (fold) net.  So that's broken, and
it's kmail doing it, not pan.

So indeed, it's almost certainly the library, since both pan and kmail were
broken for you with the bad library, and pan "unbroke" when you changed
to an earlier (2.4 series instead of 2.6) gmime.

But as I wrote earlier, I think the breakage was in gmime 2.6.16, with
the intro of the new folding.  Now to test /that/...