pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan/0.139 - threading issue [solved - maybe]

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan/0.139 - threading issue [solved - maybe]
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 13:03:34 +0000 (UTC)

Dave posted on Sat, 24 Aug 2013 21:37:30 +0100 as excerpted:

> On Saturday 24 August 2013 11:28:15 Dave wrote:
>> On Friday 23 August 2013 21:42:39 Heinrich Müller wrote:
>> > I also strongly suspect it's the fault of either gmime or another
>> > library. I won't investigate this in the near future, but you could
>> > create a bug ticket for this issue.
>> > I know I haven't been actively developing Pan in the last few months,
>> > but I'll come back to it when I have the time.
>>
>> Hi Heinrich,
>>
>> Yes, I'll do that once I work out how :-)
>> (and thanks for keeping a great newsreader up to date)
>>
>> I've also discovered that the "effect" changes slightly if I change the
>> MID. The default "random" MID allows a deeper level of threading before
>> the MID is split in the "wrong" place, depening on the length of other
>> posters MIDs in the References: header.  Using the custom domain MID
>> which displays as pan. {date}:{domain}.{tld} causes the problem from
>> the first reply.
>
> After trying and failing on FreeBSD and Ubuntu to build from latest Git
> version,  I deleted gmime26 (only Pan requires it), installed gmime24
> and edit the FreeBSD port Makefile for Pan to look for gmime24 instead
> of gmime26.
>
> Replies are now threading correctly and MIDs in the References: headers
> are split correctly, ie NOT in the middle of the MID.
>
> Whether this is a gmime26 problem, a Pan problem or a FreeBSD ports
> implementation of either gmime26 or Pan is  beyond my level of
> understanding, but at least it works now.

Dave, do you remember or can you lookup what specific version of gmime
2.6 it was?  Was it 2.6.17 perhaps?

I had someone complain about my threading too, and I'm on gmime 2.6.17
presently (on gentoo), but looking at what I have stored in binpkgs, I
have 2.6.10, .13, .15, .16 and the currently installed .17; no gmime 2.4
versions stored at all.  And the build date on the oldest one, 2.6.10, is
over a year ago, Aug 14 2012.  I've no idea how long I was on 2.6 before
that, but I'd guess it has been awhile.

I can't be sure, but I'd have guessed the problem would have been
reported /long/ before now if it was the full gmime 2.6 series, so I'm
guessing it was 2.6.15 (March installation here) or later, very possibly
only 2.6.17, which I built and installed on August 22 according to the
date on my binpkg.  You started this thread on August 19, it appears, so
it's just possible you had just updated to 2.6.17 yourself at that
point.  I hadn't seen the problem yet then, but I had a complaint a few
days later, and if I updated on the 22nd and it only happens on long
threads where the references header is long enough to wrap, that could
very well be it.

So if you can double-check what version you were running into the problem
with, it'll help narrow things down.

I can actually either do some testing or look at the changelogs and/or
commit logs and diffs, but narrowing down the problem as far as possible
before I do will help.  I guess I can do bug searches on it as well, both
at gentoo and upstream.