pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Latest pan 100% CPU usage

From: Bob
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Latest pan 100% CPU usage
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 18:31:22 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 16:52:31 +0000, Bob wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 08:09:16 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>
>> Bob posted on Thu, 25 Apr 2013 23:13:07 +0000 as excerpted:
>>
> ----- snip -----
>>>
>>> Same problem here, only am running Mint 13 Maya AMD-64 with 0.139.
>>> Seems to depend on the number of headers in a group.  I am only
>>> subscribed to 7 newsgroups via the new and renamed Forte internet news
>>> servers which claim 1500 days retention for binary groups.
>>>
>>> Seems to work fine for anything less than around 200,000 articles,
>>> anything greater will cause pan to lock up, the system temp to quickly
>>> rise above 105 F. and the complete system to lock.
>>>
>>> Watching via system monitor shows Core 0 running at 100%
>>> Usually a "Force-Quit" will kill the over-running core.
>>>
>>> Even after that I cannot bring Pan back to life without restarting the
>>> system. I CAN start it via Cli, but it will soon do the same thing
>>> over again.  Then, I must restart.
>>
>> The last time people were reporting 100% cpu, it was traced to some
>> sort of conflict with the gnome accessibility stuff.  As I don't run
>> gnome I've never seen the problem, so this is all second hand to me,
>> but the solution back then was to turn off whatever the gnome
>> accessibility daemon was called (a11y ring a bell?), before trying to
>> run pan.
>>
>> I had thought someone finally traced down that problem using gdb and a
>> bugfix had been committed, but it can't hurt to see if it's running and
>> try turning it off if so, and see if that fixes pan.
>>
>> FWIW, I've never had a similar problem here, running pan under kde...
>
> Hi Duncan...
>
> Thinking about what you mentioned, I checked, and I don't seem to have
> a11y anywhere on the system.
> I do not like KDE, just do not like the interface.  But, I did run a
> torrent and got Mint 13 xfce to try it.  Will probably install that
> sometime today, as soon as I figure which HDD to receive it. ;-p
>
> will post the results after this is accomplished,
>
> bob

Well, that was a non-event... installed, and after about 15 minutes,
removed M-13 xfce.  could not even find a version of pan newer than 0.136
in synaptic, and could not find my 0.139 get-deb version.

I found the at-spi stuff interesting and checked if it were installed. It
was, and since I do not need any of that, I removed all the 4 files
involved.  will see what now happens.

bob