pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Trying to use 'new' Pan

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Trying to use 'new' Pan
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 02:41:58 +0000 (UTC)

Maurice posted on Tue, 16 Apr 2013 17:19:55 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 17:08:51 +0000, Maurice wrote:
>
>> ‪ otherwise the From selection will default to the first Profile
>> defined?
>
> Actually, it didn't remember. The above posting was done with the
> Gmane-short profile, but when I then did this reply the From selection
> still defaulted to the Gmane-long profile.

I thought it remembered the last profile you used.  Maybe it only
remembers it if you change the associated posting profile in group
preferences.  (Once it's setup, as mine has now been for quite some time,
it's not like I change it that often, to actually see what works...  So
maybe I was wrong about the remembering and you have to specifically set
the preference in group prefs...)

> This is difficult. There are some 40 groups I follow, and cannot
> remember which server every one of them came from. Why can't Pan?

That's simple enough.  Toggle headers on, and look at the path header for
a post or two in the group.  That header will have a list of every server
the message went thru, the propagation path, including the server pan
fetched it from.  Entries are added to the left, so the first/left entry
is the server you fetched it from, the last/right entry is the server the
poster posted to.[1]  (Gmane of course is a bit strange, since it's a
list2news gateway, with most of what would be in the path for normal news
messages appearing in mail received headers instead.  But it does have
the gmane server listed, anyway.)

Of course gmane's easy enough in any case -- anything in the gmane.*
hierarchy is gmane (and gwene is gmane too, thru its feeds2news
gateway).  Even if other servers carry the gmane.* groups, posting to
gmane itself is the best bet for actual propagation back to the list.

---
[1] Path header, rightmost entry normally the server the post was posted
to:  It's often possible to add fake entries if you want to make it
appear you posted from a different server than you actually did.  The
server you posted from will then appear in the middle of the path for
anyone actually reading it later, with the fake entries appearing to the
right of it and the other real servers the post passed thru before it got
to the reader appearing to the left.  Someone familiar enough with the
peering between servers and the usual route a post takes between them may
be able to spot it, but most readers can be fooled if reasonable care is
taken with the fakery.