pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] How to change Pan's temp(orary) path to somewhere else?

From: Rhialto
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] How to change Pan's temp(orary) path to somewhere else?
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 16:48:42 +0100

On Sat 02 Feb 2013 at 07:42:24 -0800, Ant wrote:
> > In my script to invoke Pan, I have
> >
> > export TMP=/scratch/tmp
> >
> > so apparently I used to have the same problem in some forgotten past :-)
>
> Thanks. So, there's no way to do it for Pan only and not everyone's tmp?
> :(

Yes, it is effective only for Pan, since I put it in the script that I
use to start it. (I often make little scripts to collect my favourite
options to common commands). Rememer that the environment variables are
inherited only by child processes, they don't propagate up or sideways
or anything. So once this script terminates, the value is gone. The same
is true for the ulimit values I set below.

The full script goes like this:

#!/bin/sh
ulimit -Sd $(ulimit -Hd)        # datasize
ulimit -Sn 1772         # nofiles
ulimit -Sc 0            # coredumpsize
export TMP=/scratch/tmp
exec /usr/pkg/bin/pan "$@"

I use "exec" at the end because the invocation of pan is the last thing
in the script, so we don't need the shell any more and we can re-use its
process to run pan.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- The Doctor: No, 'eureka' is Greek for
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- 'this bath is too hot.'