pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] How to change Pan's temp(orary) path to somewhere else?

From: Ant
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] How to change Pan's temp(orary) path to somewhere else?
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 11:06:02 -0800

> On Sat 02 Feb 2013 at 07:42:24 -0800, Ant wrote:

> > > export TMP=/scratch/tmp
> > >
> > > so apparently I used to have the same problem in some forgotten past :-)
> >
> > Thanks. So, there's no way to do it for Pan only and not everyone's tmp?
> > :(
>
> Yes, it is effective only for Pan, since I put it in the script that I
> use to start it. (I often make little scripts to collect my favourite
> options to common commands). Rememer that the environment variables are
> inherited only by child processes, they don't propagate up or sideways
> or anything. So once this script terminates, the value is gone. The same
> is true for the ulimit values I set below.
>
> export TMP=/scratch/tmp
> exec /usr/pkg/bin/pan "$@"

> I use "exec" at the end because the invocation of pan is the last thing
> in the script, so we don't need the shell any more and we can re-use its
> process to run pan.

Yay! I was able to download a yyencoded 1.55 GB .7z file with "export
TMP=/scratch/tmp" and running Pan through KDE's v4.45. So Pan was indeed
using /tmp by default for me. For now with big files, I will use this
temporary workaround. Thanks all! :)
--
Quote of the Week: "The men of experiment are like the ant; they only
collect and use. But the bee...gathers its materials from the flowers of
| |o   o| |                 E-mail: address@hidden/address@hidden
   \ _ /              If crediting, then please kindly use Ant nickname
    ( )                                              and AQFL URL/link.