pan-users

[Pan-users] GNKSA

From: Joe Zeff
Subject: [Pan-users] GNKSA
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 13:43:13 -0700

I've just received a response to my email about updating the GNKSA. In part, it says:

Actually, I consider the GNKSA a historic document, to be read in the context of its own time, rather than a useful guideline for today's practice. It played its part, but to me its relevance is over. Usenet has become a niche, or a suite of niches for a relatively small audience and particular purposes. The GNKSA, by intention anyway, aimed to help Usenet function in a time before web forums, "social" sites and the like.

I don't think there's any other interest in updating it or even paying any attention to it any longer. I think it's now time for us to ask ourselves if complying to an otherwise dead standard is in Pan's best interests, and if not, what other changes are appropriate.