pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: OT: freedomware vs... Was: Building Pan on Windows?

From: Steven D'Aprano
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: OT: freedomware vs... Was: Building Pan on Windows?
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 05:34:21 +1100

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 04:13:37 am Joe Zeff wrote:
> > I could continue, but I trust I've made
> > my point.
>
> Yes, you have: you can make a living while giving away your code if
> *and only if* you have an employer who will support you while you do
> it.

Your reading comprehension skills are quite poor. That's nothing like
what I wrote.

Red Hat Corporation has no employer supporting them, they are the
employer, and believe me, they are making a good profit and a more than
generous living for their executives and shareholders.

Richard Stallman and Eric Raymond, to mention just two high-profile
names, have no employers: they are their own boss, independent
consultants responsible for supporting themselves. They don't do that
by selling bytes that can be duplicated by anyone (the ultimate
commodity item), they do it by selling something which is in short
supply and high demand: their skills.

Google hasn't just released the Go programming language as free, open
source software out of charity, and the developers of Samba aren't
begging for handouts, they are being paid to work on something they
love.

Your argument could be applied to virtually any profession, not just
open source software development. "Brain surgeons can make a living if
and only if they have an employer who will support them". For a wide
enough definition of "support" and "employer", that's true as far as it
goes, but it entirely misses the point that the employer "supports"
them in return for services rendered. Red Hat "supports" its
developers, not out of some sense of charity, but because writing and
releasing open source software is their business model and they pay
their staff for services rendered just like any other employer.

> You seem to believe that there is One True Way for software to work
> and anybody who doesn't do things your way is, at the least, wrong,
> if not downright *EVIL.*

Deary deary me, there's that reading comprehension problem again.

So what part of "I'm happy for Leslie that he can make a living from
selling software" means that I think he is evil?

What part of "I have no idea what business models will work for him and
his niche crowd" gives you the impression that I believe that open
source is the One True Way?

> If so, you're wrong.  FOSS is all well and
> good, and I support it, but I, at least, also accept that most
> software will never be free, and that software companies have the
> right to keep their code proprietary if that's what they want.

It isn't a right, it is a privilege. Trying to prevent bytes from being
copyable is like trying to prevent water from being wet, and there is
only so long that societies can ignore reality.

Society has made a choice to create the legal fiction of "copyright" out
of a belief that this will promote the useful arts and sciences.
Whether it does or not is an empirical question which hasn't been
studied much, but what little studies have been done suggest strongly
that in fact copyright and patents lead to a *reduction* in innovation,
not an increase. Since both copyrights and patents are
government-granted monopolies, and since monopolies almost always are
economically inefficient, this shouldn't come to a surprise to anyone.

I believe that the time will come that trying to prevent people from
copying or reverse-engineering software will be as futile as saying
hello and then trying to prevent them from saying hello to anyone else.
What that will do to the software industry, I don't know, but my money
says that it will find ways to survive. Artists and technicians made a
good living for thousands of years before the invention of copyright
and patents, and they will do so again in the future.

But for now, yes, people have the legal privilege of denying reality and
pretending that bytes can't be copied.

--
Steven D'Aprano