pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: OT: freedomware vs... Was: Building Pan on Windows?

From: Alan Meyer
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: OT: freedomware vs... Was: Building Pan on Windows?
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 21:21:32 -0800 (PST)

Steven D'Aprano <address@hidden>

> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 10:25:06 am Leslie Newell wrote:
> > My challenge to you is to come up with a business model where
> > I can both eat and make my code open source.
>
> It works for Eric Raymond, Guido van Rossum, Richard Stallman,
> and hundreds of others.

I think you're setting the bar too high here Steven.  The people
you named are the rock stars of open source.  Asking us ordinary
mortals to do as they do is like asking of a guitarist, "Why can't
you just make a living the way Eric Clapton does?  It works for
him!"

I don't know if "hundreds" of others make a living from open
source.  I'm sure that the great majority of open source authors
do not make a living at it.  Like 99.99% of all professional
programmers they have day jobs that pay the bills.

--
Alan Meyer
address@hidden