pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: The "no-break-space" problem, aka "blank" posts, that sh

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: The "no-break-space" problem, aka "blank" posts, that shouldn't be
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 14:29:08 -0800

On 12/11/2009 01:20 AM, Duncan wrote:
K. Haley posted on Thu, 03 Dec 2009 23:44:04 -0700 as excerpted:

Does anybody else get frustrated with "blank" posts, that shouldn't be?

There's probably a bug open on this, tho I've not looked.  It seems pan
(or the gtk+ widget it uses to display posts, or the mimelib it uses to
decode them) doesn't cope properly with the Latin-1 (aka
charset="iso-8859-1) and Unicode no-break-space character, hex A0,
presented in MIME/quoted-printable posts in "raw" form using the = A 0
escape sequence (three chars, spaced out here, to avoid triggering the
problem with this post, but normally together).

Duncan, see if the current testing branch fixes the problem.  I believe
the issue was the line wrap code assuming that all spaces were only one
utf-8 char wide.  The non-breaking space is two 0xc2a0.  The new code
should not only fix that but support the non-breaking part as well.

I just updated and recompiled today.  By the testing branch, you mean
master on your repo?  Or?

I love git, but I've barely scratched the surface so far. There's always
tons more to learn about it.

Here's what I have:

$git branch
  master
* testing

$git checkout master
Switched to branch 'master'

$git branch
* master
  testing

$git checkout testing
Switched to branch 'testing'

$git branch
  master
* testing

$git log | head
commit 115ab8007b823a70062ec9813835c50db184e772
Author: K. Haley <address@hidden>
Date:   Thu Dec 3 23:38:40 2009 -0700

    Fix handling of multibyte spaces in text-massager.

    Original code assumed spaces were always one byte.  Also added
    support for non-breaking spaces.

All of this still seems like black magic to me -- but it sure is handy.