pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: So, what's left before 1.0?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: So, what's left before 1.0?
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 07:02:32 +0000 (UTC)

Duncan posted on Sun, 01 Nov 2009 13:03:43 +0000 as excerpted:

> Dave posted on Sun, 01 Nov 2009 12:25:00 +0000 as excerpted:
>
>> Personally, I use klibido for binaries and Pan for text.  Each is
>> better than the other at what it does best ;-)
>
> pan is, in general, as good as klibido at downloading now -- but without
> all the detailed reporting klibido has.
>
> Meanwhile, you're a klibido user, and I used it for awhile but that was
> some time ago, when klibido was still very immature and limited in terms
> of filtering, etc.
>
> Does klibido have reasonable filtering (or even scoring) now?

Answering some of my own questions after a bit of checking...

I can't answer this one yet, but I did find klibido has been about as
dormant as pan since 2006.  The last release was 0.2.5 in March of 2006,
altho there still appear to be sources updates this year.

One thing that seems to have been fixed was the database corruption...
fixed by a kernel patch!

> And the biggest question, has it been ported to kde4 or is it in the
> process of being ported?  Because I no longer have kde3 (or qt3) on my
> system at all.  If klibido isn't being ported, that's a huge shame, as
> it's a great program, but I'll admit I've not as much as looked at it in
> several years, so I haven't the foggiest what the current status is.

Well, with klibido's last release in 2006 and kde4.0's release in January
2008, that answers /that/ question.  And there's no hint of a question
about it on the user's list, and no hint I found of any hive of activity
in the sources that would accompany a kde4 porting, so it seems the
answer is no kde4 version at all, at this point, and with the low if non-
zero level of development activity, apparently the kde3 end of the line
is klibido's end of the line as well.

Oh, well...

> I've always thought I'd get back into binaries and when I did, try
> klibido again, but I've been thinking that for... two and a half years
> at least now.

With qt3 now unsupported upstream for some time, and kde3 in much the
same condition, it appears klibido is dieing along with them, and while
at present I could still merge kdelibs-3 and klibido, Gentoo/kde is
scheduled to move both the remaining kde-3 and qt-3 to a user-only-
supported (no official Gentoo dev involvement or support) early next year
(2010), so it appears I'll never run klibido again...  As I said earlier,
too bad, really, as it had great potential.

Oh, well...

I guess that does seem to leave only pan as a reasonable GUI Linux news
binaries downloader, which again is too bad, as a little choice and
competition never hurts.  Maybe I should look again at other clients such
as claws or whatever sylphead-claws became, and check for terminal (CLI
or NCURSES) clients.  The gnews variants don't particularly interest me
as I'm not an emacs user and am unlikely to pick it up just for news...
I guess the native Linux BNR2+ client is dead, but I might be able to run
the (AFAIK freedomware) MSWormOS version on wine.  Non-freedomware is not
an option, here.