pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan brings PC to a standstill

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan brings PC to a standstill
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 16:41:27 -0700

David Shochat wrote:
On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 09:27:24 -0700, walt wrote:
Well, two points.

[snip]
Second, at-spi-registryd. Unless you know you need it (and if you do
need it you already know it) use the Assistive Technologies Preferences
applet to disable it.

BINGO!!!

What exactly does the "assistive technologies" daemon do,

The 'at' series of packages is intended to help users like, e.g.
Stephen Hawking who can't use a keyboard or perhaps can't see
a computer screen.  I'm reasonably sure that the gnome onscreen
keyboard is useful to those who can't use a real keyboard with
their hands but perhaps can use a joystick or some equivalent to
move the mouse pointer over the GOK.

and why does is it so poisonous to pan?...

I can't answer that one.  Maybe someone else here can?