pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan brings PC to a standstill

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan brings PC to a standstill
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 09:27:24 -0700

David Shochat wrote:
On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 07:31:56 -0400, Keith Richie wrote:

Try to compile from the unpatched source code. You shouldn't have to run
make install, but you can run the Pan binary from the compiled
directory.

Gnome uses a file monitoring daemon for Nautilus (Fam, Gamin,
something). Try disabling that, and/or beagle if it's running.

This is very interesting. I always run a version of pan which I compiled
from unpatched source. But I was running GNOME when I ran configure
(should I examine the configure log?) To follow up on your second idea, I
did a
ps -ef | awk '{print $8}'>  processes.gnome
while running GNOME desktop, and then the same thing but redirecting to
processes.xfce while running XFCE desktop. Then I differenced the two
files and removed some things like applets which I really don't think
could be responsible. Here's what is left (these are interesting
processes which are only there when running the GNOME desktop):
<  /usr/bin/dbus-launch
<  /usr/bin/pulseaudio
<  /usr/lib/pulseaudio/pulse/gconf-helper
<  /usr/bin/seahorse-agent
<  /usr/lib/gnome-session/helpers/gnome-keyring-daemon-wrapper
<  /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-settings-daemon
<  /usr/lib/at-spi/at-spi-registryd
<  /usr/lib/bonobo-activation/bonobo-activation-server
<  /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-hal-volume-monitor
<  /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-trash
<  /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor
<  /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-burn
<  gnome-power-manager
So, any ideas as to which of those might be responsible? Notice there is
nothing in the list named fam, gamin, or beagle.

Well, two points.

First, fam/gamin is not needed for gnome if you have CONFIG_INOTIFY=y
in your kernel configuration. (It's in the 'File Systems' section of
the kernel config menu.)

Second, at-spi-registryd. Unless you know you need it (and if you do need it you already know it) use the Assistive Technologies Preferences applet to disable it. Everything thing else there is also running on
my machine.  Oh, wait, I don't have gphoto2 because I don't have a
digital camera, so you might just try disabling whatever that is, but
it doesn't sound very guilty to me.