pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Problems unraring archives downloaded with PAN.

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Problems unraring archives downloaded with PAN.
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 20:45:37 -0500

On Mar 18, 2009, at 8:11 PM, David Shochat wrote:

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 22:35:18 +0000, apebrigade wrote:

Hi.  I am hoping this is the correct place to raise this problem!

I use PAN to connect to Giganews and use .NZB files to locate the files.
PAN seems to be working correctly and downloading all of rar files
correctly.  My problem comes when I try to unrar the archive as it is
split into many files.

I have tried:

unrar x /filename /

rar e '*.rar'

Suggest using par first to verify the files you have downloaded. Am betting they are .par2 error correcting *and* then rar split.

If you have par2cmdline installed something like this works (in C shell):

alias par nice +20 par2 r \*.PAR2 \*.par2 \*.PAR \*.par \| \& tee output

And then to reassemble with rar in a directory specified on the command line:

alias urar mkdir \!^ \&\& nice +20 unrar x \*.RAR \*.rar "\*" \!^

So in short once the above aliases are defined simply type "par" in the directory where the files are downloaded. After everything is checked and/or repaired then "urar /path/to/dest" where dest doesn't yet exist. It will be created and the only thing in dest will be the file(s) and possibly directories from the rar archive.

You could take the "nice +20" out of each. Nice only attempts to "be nice" and lower the process priority so other things can run.

The unrar utility above has a sucky DOS-based command line parser. You have to escape the * wildcard filename to tell it what to extract.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden