pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Permissions Re: Aaarrrgghhh! Whahoppena Terminal??

From: Rinaldi J. Montessi
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Permissions Re: Aaarrrgghhh! Whahoppena Terminal??
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 11:34:40 -0500

Beartooth wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 19:52:47 -0600, Gerald L wrote:
>       [....]
>> I was just interested to see if the alpine_helper.pl was actually owned
>> by you.
>>
>> You have some serious ownership/permissions issues on your system that
>> are going to be VERY difficult to diagnose via email. There is
>> absolutely no reason that kwrite should be the only editor able to open
>> that file.
>>
>> I'd suspect the fact that you couldn't open it using gedit or anything
>> else is also caused by whatever is making it fail to run every time from
>> Pan.
>>
>> About the only way to even begin to troubleshoot at this point will be
>> for you to sit down and start writing a book.
>>
>> Word-for-word, command-by-command, what you do from the time you turn on
>> the machine to the time it fails to work correctly. You're not running
>> the same distro I'm familiar with so it still will probably require the
>> assistance of others.
>
>       Oh double aaarrrgghhh -- plus rats, and then more rats!
>
>       Here's some background -- at length, with my apologies -- on
> that, in case it inspires anyone.
>
>       I've been running one family of distros almost exclusively ever
> since I got into Linux with RedHat 6 or 7, upgrading to each new release
> when I can, and doing fresh installs whenever an upgrade fails.
>
>       When I get a newer bigger faster machine, the previous one gets
> demoted to #2, then 3, then 4, then out the door. #2 - 4 are essentially
> backitter-uppiters -- all the same apps installed, as nearly as I can
> manage it, and most of the same data, copying all I can, back and forth
> over the LAN or by sneakermail. All that naturally requires a lot of some
> kind of copying.
>
>       When I manage to bollix one so badly that I can't get online with
> it (about every couple years), the others are ready to spring into the
> breach.
>
>       But their actual use is to take some of the load off #1 by
> running stuff like weather and GPS/topo maps, where I don't need to c&p
> between what's running and anything else -- particularly Gmane/usenet
> groups and email.
>
>       I used to use tar and scp to another machine to back up what I
> wanted to keep, whenever I did a fresh install. Then I discovered I was
> omitting a switch from my tar command, which affected permissions.
>
>       So I took to burning stuff to media, using K3B or Brasero, and
> copying it back, all by click-&-drag.
>
>       Then  about Fedora 8 or 9, I started discovering permission
> trouble that way -- scattered, randomly afaict, all through /home/btth,
> and maybe also elsewhere. (I'm running Fedora 10 now.)
>
>       Chown -R btth:btth /home/btth/* and chown -R btth:btth /home/
> btth/.* don't seem to fix it. I run Gnome and metacity, no compiz; so I
> go from the desktop with nautilus (I guess it is -- clicking and
> dragging, anyhow), opening Properties > Permissions, looking for padlocks
> [...]

I had this problem once and found the solution to be somewhat simple.

There are a couple of ways  to troubleshoot permission problems even
though the username may be the same.  I'd recommend looking in each
system's /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow to make sure your user information
is the same on each system.

Case in point, when I created my username on my first install of
slackware it gave me UID 500, whereas RH had given me UID 1000.  Thus,
even though rinaldi owned all the files in ~/, with the wrong UID I
couldn't access any of them.

--
-Rinaldi-
When someone says "I want a programming language in which I need only