pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan not emailing me

From: Beartooth
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan not emailing me
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 19:19:31 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:04:22 -0500, David Shochat wrote:

> The traditional way to configure the classical X clients (the ones
> included in the X11 distribution), such as xterm, is to use resources. I
> did this experiment: First I used xlsfonts to find a big-sounding X
> font, and came up with one called 9x21bas (the specific ones available
> depend on your X server setup). You can use xfontsel to see what various
> X fonts look like.

        You're way over my head, alas! I tried some of the commands, and
it helped, but there's a lot here that's beyond me. xlsfonts|most gave me
a humongous list full of details I have no inkling of. xlsfonts|grep
9x21bas found nothing; and I didn't see how to use xfontsel.

        But, persevering, I did discover that xterm -font lucidasans-
bold-18 gave me something legible. But I couldn't find a .Xdefaults file;
it wasn't in /home/btth, nor in /etc/X11 ... Where should I be looking??

> I tested it using:
>   xterm -font 9x21bas.
> To make xterm come up that way by default, I added this to my
> ~/.Xdefaults:
>   *xterm*font: 9x21bas
> Then run the command (while in your home directory):
>   xrdb -merge .Xdefaults
> Now using the command xterm (no arguments) brings it up with the big
> font.

        Not having found the defaults file, I let well enough alone for
now with the xrdb.

> You can change lots of other things with other resources
> (background color, scrollbar, etc.). Linux comes with lots of "terminal"
> programs, such as gnome-terminal, that all have their own configuration
> schemes, so you might want to first decide which terminal program to run
> Alpine in.

        I normally do everything CLI in a gnome-terminal with several
tabs, including one for Alpine on my own machine and another for the
remote Alpine where I do most of my email. There was a reason to use
something else for Pan when I first got into this, but I disremember at
the moment what it was.

> xterm is just one of many possibilities. Some have menus for
> fonts. Actually, even xterm does (ctl-right mouse).

        *That* detail, which I'd never've found, was a big help! Having
failed to find the defaults file, I have to do it every time, alas!, but
it does make the xterm that pops up legible.

        Many thanks!