pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan not emailing me

From: David Shochat
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan not emailing me
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 15:43:32 -0500

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Beartooth <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:04:22 -0500, David Shochat wrote:
>
> ... xlsfonts|most gave me
> a humongous list full of details I have no inkling of. xlsfonts|grep
> 9x21bas found nothing; and I didn't see how to use xfontsel.

It has a man page that explains how to use it. I would never have
guessed how it worked without reading the man page (it's got a (ahem)
"interesting" user interface). You click on parts of the name and
menus appear. But this is really old stuff (X fonts). The newer terms
use more modern font technology.

>        But, persevering, I did discover that xterm -font lucidasans-
> bold-18 gave me something legible. But I couldn't find a .Xdefaults file;
> it wasn't in /home/btth, nor in /etc/X11 ... Where should I be looking??

Nowhere. Just create it! In your home directory. The file doesn't
exist until you have something you want to use it for.

> I normally do everything CLI in a gnome-terminal with several
> tabs, including one for Alpine on my own machine and another for the
> remote Alpine where I do most of my email. There was a reason to use
> something else for Pan when I first got into this, but I disremember at
> the moment what it was.

Well, there are other ones you could try.

>> xterm is just one of many possibilities. Some have menus for
>> fonts. Actually, even xterm does (ctl-right mouse).
>
>        *That* detail, which I'd never've found, was a big help!

What? You haven't read all 1638 lines of the xterm man page? The
relevant part here starts on line 1100 (in the version that is here).
Seriously, someone probably showed me this too long ago for me to
remember. Or maybe I was just feeling experimental.
xterm goes WAY back, so you could call it strange by modern standards.
That's why I'm thinking you'd be happier with one of the newer terms.
-- David