pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: How would Pan handle "nonce" subscritption?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: How would Pan handle "nonce" subscritption?
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 23:25:15 +0000 (UTC)

Beartooth <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 22 Feb 2009
18:31:31 +0000:

> Hmmm ... "the PAN_HOME var functionality" rings no bells. Where do I
> find out about it?? Not having to find (nor remember!) the groups is
> very appealing. There's at least one, for example, for a linux-native
> app that works only, by design, in the case of a GPS in a moving
> automobile -- because that's what interests those developers. I wasted a
> lot of time on that app before I discovered that ....

The idea is to set and export PAN_HOME before you start pan.  If pan sees
that variable set, it tries to look in that location for its config,
instead of in the default ~/.pan2.

By creating, setting the executable bit on, and then using a starter
script, say pan.seldom , with a couple lines in it setting and exporting
PAN_HOME like this:

export PAN_HOME="/home/beartooth/.pan.seldom"

exec pan

... you can then run that script and start pan with a separate set of
data files, the ones in ~/.pan.seldom instead of the normal ones in
~/.pan2 .

Then you can run pan normally in your normal instance, and when you want
to, you can run pan.seldom , and it'll start the second instance, using
the files in the new location.  If it's done correctly, each instance
"just works" and doesn't overwrite anything in the other data file
location.

The one catch is that you either have to setup everything new for the
second location, or if you start by copying files from the old location
(.pan2), you have to do a search in all the copied files for every
existence of the old path (.pan2) and change it to the new path
(.pan.seldom).  This is because the paths are stored in a couple of the
files and if you don't change them, they'll still point to the ones in
the old location.

Does that ring any bells yet?  I'm almost sure we went thru that once
before, but at least the first time it you said it was too complex still,
so I created a step-by-step for you, but maybe you didn't try it.