pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Two instances of PAN

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Two instances of PAN
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 23:45:23 +0000 (UTC)

David Shochat <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 08 Nov 2008
12:08:33 -0500:

> Rick Barry wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I'd like to run 2 separate instances of PAN 0.132 in Ubuntu 8.04.1. Is
>> this possible? If so, how would I achieve this?
>>

> I think all you'd have to do would be to set the environment variable
> PAN_HOME to something other than $HOME/.pan2 for the second instance.
> For example, you could set it to $HOME/.pan2.2 and the 2nd instance
> would use ~/.pan2.2 for its database. To make it more convenient, you
> could write a 2-line script that sets PAN_HOME to the non-standard value
> and then runs pan. You would then just use that script to launch the 2nd
> instance. You could have 2 panel launchers, with one just launching pan
> normally and the other running the script.

Well posted. =:^)  That's actually the way I have pan setup here, with of
course some individual variance in detail.  I have three instances,
pan.bin (binaries), pan.text and pan.test (for browsing around, since pan
keeps some info about groups you've been to even after you delete them,
this way I can easily blow that away without blowing away my regular
subscribed groups).

Each instance is set to a subdir of ~/pan/ (I don't like hidden dirs, so
not .pan), ~/pan/text, ~/pan/bin, etc.  For config files that are the
same across all three instances, I have a ~/pan/globals as well, with
symlinks from the individual instance dirs as appropriate.  I thus have a
common scorefile and accels.txt keyboard accel mapping.

My starter scripts are pan.bin, pan.text, etc, with a kmenu entry for
each, and a khotkeys entry for those, so I can invoke my main instances
with just a couple keystrokes.  (I run pan.test seldom enough that it's
better run from the launcher dialog.)