pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Folders: gone forever?

From: Charles Sullivan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Folders: gone forever?
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 12:27:12 -0400

On Tue, 20 May 2008 14:33:18 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan <address@hidden> wrote:

> Charles Sullivan <address@hidden> posted
> address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon,
> 19 May 2008 15:03:32 -0400:
>
> > The latest PAN on my FC6 system is 2.3.1 [...]
>
> I haven't the foggiest where that version number came from, but it's not
> pan's.  If it's correct, it's entirely Fedora's version numbering, and I
> haven't the foggiest what it corresponds to in "upstream" pan
> versioning.  I expect, however, that you mistakenly reported some other
> app's version number.

Whoops, you're right.  It's Pan 0.132. I clicked the "about" on the wrong
app and wasn't paying attention.

> FWIW, pan has never passed the 1.0 milestone so all versions are 0.
> something or other.  Old pre-rewrite (C source) pan will be versions up
> to 0.14.x.  New C++ rewrite pan started at version 0.90, with anything
> post 0.120 being what I'd call relatively recent, and 0.132 being the
> latest.
>
> So look for a version number 0.13x or possibly 0.12x.  That's much more
> likely.
>
> > [...] and I don't see any "mail"
> > option other that "reply to author".  I suppose I could type in my email
> > address for each post to be mailed, but that's not particularly
> > convenient.
>
> Putting pretty much anything of the form address@hidden in the email address
> box
> should pull up your mailer, provided either the package or you configured
> an appropriate one.  In fact, I never use the menu option for mail at
> all.  I just use the "f" keyboard shortcut for (newsgroup) followup as I
> normally would, then simply delete the newsgroup entry and add something
> (address@hidden or whatever) to the Mail To line.  Hitting send then brings
> up
> my mail client (kmail) with the message opened in its message editor.  I
> could then mail it wherever, but since we're just talking about saving it
> to mail, that's what I do, save it without ever sending. (FWIW, kmail
> only lets me save it in draft, but I can and do move it from there to the
> folder I wanted to save it to.  However, that's a kmail implementation
> quirk.  Others may let you save it anywhere, directly, while others might
> actually force you to mail it to yourself.)
>
> > Leaving the post in the original newsgroup isn't much of an option for
> > me.
>
> True, it won't be an option for everyone.  I'd not be able to use it in
> my binary groups, for instance, due to the way I handle them.  I'd use
> the mail thing for them, which I do anyway if I want to save a particular
> message.
>
> I know people who brag about having a multi-year archive of the various
> text groups they follow in Forte Agent, tho, and find it very cool that I
> can now do the same thing in pan.  =8^)  It can be useful to have whole
> threads archived from a year or more ago, and it's interesting just to go
> back and look at it once in awhile too, remembering what events were
> current and being argued at the time...

I just save selected messages or threads, but they may be posted on any
one of a half dozen different newsgroups dealing with the subject.  If I
can't move them to a common location they're very difficult to find later
when I don't recall where they were originally posted or the exact subject
line.

Has Charles abandoned further development of PAN?

Regards,
Charles Sullivan