pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Strange new behaviour in 0.132

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Strange new behaviour in 0.132
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 03:22:22 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 19:26:40 -0600, Tim Hogan wrote:

> I have run into this problem and have found a bit of a work around.  The
> first group that I open after just starting PAN will not display any
> messages.  I have the "Match Only Unread Articles" filter selected by
> default.  If I click "Match Only Watched Articles" and then un-click the
> same bottom I will then see the new message. I only have to do this only
> once when I start PAN.  From that point forward all of the groups will
> display correctly.

Just tried this out after resetting all the message counters and nuking
the contents of the groups directory under .pan2 - no luck.  I even
rebuilt the executable just in case I screwed something up with a system
crash.

The really weird thing is that even with crossposted messages (which I
expect to show as read in one group when they're marked read in another
group - and that works as intended), I see them if I show all unread
messages.  But this is kinda the opposite; I show new messages being in
the group, but showing all messages doesn't show them; I can even look in
the file created in the groups directory for the group in question and
see what looks to be the message info in there, but they just don't show
up in the group when I'm reading from one group to antoher.

On a private news server, I posted a message (f-uped to from another
group) and then was subsequently unable to find it.  It did make it
there, because one of the people I was talking with replied in a new
thread and his comments indicated that he had read what I had written.
If I use a perl script to read the group, I can read the message - so
it's clearly in the group, and I didn't crosspost or do anything funky
other than change the group it was being posted to.

A second reply showed up just fine.

Could the newsgroups.xov file be corrupted perhaps?

Jim