pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Strange message reading error

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Strange message reading error
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 01:11:22 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 10:20:18 +0200, Per Hedeland wrote:

> walt <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Appears to me that the "body" of this post is really the first
>> attachment of five, the last four being jpegs.
>> What I do think is a bug:  the first attachment (which just
>> happens to be text/plain) is not saved along with the jpegs.
> If I asked pan to "save attachments" for that message, I would *not*
> expect that first text part to be saved.

Evidently your expectations are in accord with common practice, but
I'm not clear on why this practice is the norm.  Is this part of the
mime specs?  And what about the case where the 'attachments' just
happen to be text/plain also.  Is there something in the mime specs
which requires the 'attached' text/plain to be flagged in some way
as different from the 'body' text/plain?

> However the complaint was that
> the text part was not *displayed* in the message pane, this I too would
> consider a bug...

After playing with Thunderbird I agree that pan violates the principle
of least surprise, or at least differs from standard practice, and it
should be fixed.  Jim, do you want to file a bug report?  (Otherwise I
will file it.)

And thanks to Per for a great mime lesson.