pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: posting problem

From: Bruce Bowler
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: posting problem
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 13:41:46 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 10:13:11 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> walt <address@hidden> posted
> address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:10:55
> +0000:
>
>> On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 11:32:44 -0500, Bruce Bowler wrote:
>>
>>> I use 2 news servers, both primary.  news.individual.net and
>>> news.gmane.org.  I was just reading an article in a gmane group and
>>> wanted to post to that group.  I composed my message, hit the "send
>>> article" button and the following dialog appears.
>>>
>>>     There were problems with this post.
>>>     Warning: Unknown group "gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.user".
>>
>> Here's my guess:
>>
>> Go to Edit/Group Preferences and check which Posting Profile is listed
>> for the pan.users group.
>>
>> Now go to Edit/Posting Profiles and check which newsserver is listed for
>> 'Post Articles via:' -- maybe you have the wrong server listed there?
>
> Correct.  Select the profile and you are selecting the server you post
> thru while using that profile.  If you select a profile set to use a
> server that doesn't have the group (or that does but doesn't allow you to
> post), well, you get the error you'd likely expect, if you thought about
> it a bit.

Correct and not correct.  I have thought about it a bit and while it's
nice to be able to have a split personality, it shouldn't be a
*requirement* if you use more than one news server.

pan "knows" which server it gets each group from so, by default, it should
use that server to post to.

--
Bruce Bowler        | I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my