pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: posting problem

From: Bruce Bowler
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: posting problem
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 15:26:13 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 15:06:29 -0600, Charles Kerr wrote:

> Duncan wrote:
>
>> Anyone with proposals on how to better word this error, please post'em!
>> =8^)
>
>> There were problems with this post.
>>
>> Warning: The following groups are unknown on the posting server currently
>> selected for this posting profile.  You may wish to examine your profile
>> selection.
>
> That's a good start.  I'd shorten the error message portion and add
> specific instructions on solving it:
>
>     Error:  The posting profile's server doesn't carry this newsgroup.
>     Either change profiles in the "From:" header or edit the profile
>     via "Edit|Manage Posting Profiles".
>
> Personally the posting-preferences-server approach still feels like
> a hack to me, but as Duncan correctly explained, nobody proposed a
> clearer solution at the time.  On its plus side, since Pan remembers
> which profile was last used in a group, it also remembers which
> news server to use.
>
> I'm open to simpler alternatives.
>
> cheers,
> Charles

This is related to the whole "posting profile thing" so doesn't really
deserve a new thread, and this seems like to plug it into this thread.

Would it be reasonable to suggest that one of the profiles can be listed
as "default profile" rather than the current "alphabetical order" if no
posting profile has been selected for a group?

(real life) example.  I made 2 posting profiles since I use 2 servers (as
an aside the *only* thing different between them, probably typical of a
noob, is the server.  Should there be a "clone profile" option?).

I named them using names that make sense to me.

I called one of them gmane, which has the posting server of news.gmane.org
(2 subscribed groups).  The other called main, my primary news server (not
in pans sense of primary, but my sense), which has news.individual.net as
the server (~30 subscribed groups).  I went to post to a group served by
my primary server that I hadn't posted to before and the "default" posting
profile was gmane, presumably because it's first alphabetically. Yes, it
was easy to change in the posting dialog, but defaults are supposed to
"make sense".  One way to do that would be for the user to be able to
mark one of the posting profiles as "default" (and that should probably
default to the first profile created).

Bruce

--
Bruce Bowler        | I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever